The 12 months’s finish tends to immediate reflection on the earlier 12 months and plans for the 12 months forward. You might spend time assessing what labored in your content material program, what didn’t, and what you are able to do otherwise subsequent 12 months.
For those who’re a content material govt or chief, these reflections would possibly affect the place you direct these treasured content material advertising and marketing budgets and assets in 2023.
For particular person contributors and managers, these reflections would possibly affect how you are feeling about your present function and future profession strikes.
As you are taking this time to replicate and plan, use CMI’s current analysis findings so as to add context to your evaluation and reinforce any choices you make.
What to find out about your content material advertising and marketing profession – and your group’s
Our (first) Content material Advertising Profession & Wage 2023 Outlook (registration required) discovered:
As we wrote within the report, many content material entrepreneurs are “poised and able to leap when the precise alternative comes alongside – that means the Nice Resignation could also be removed from over.”
- 54% of content material entrepreneurs really feel they need to be paid extra.
- The median wage for U.S.-based content material entrepreneurs who work for an employer (i.e., should not self-employed) is $82,738.
- Girls in content material advertising and marketing make roughly 80 cents on the greenback in comparison with males – the U.S. median content material advertising and marketing wage for girls is $79,891 and for males is $99,265.
- 31% of ladies in content material advertising and marketing maintain director-level and above positions, in comparison with 48% of males.
- Simply 23% of content material entrepreneurs report that they’ve a transparent path for development inside their present firm.
- 57% of content material entrepreneurs are both planning to seek out one other job in 2023 or are uncertain about their subsequent steps.
- 24% of content material entrepreneurs say they’re extraordinarily or very confused at work; ladies report greater stress ranges (32% greater than males) and decrease ranges of job satisfaction (11% decrease than males).
Simply 23% in #ContentMarketing say they’ve a path for development of their present firm, says @LisaBeets by way of @CMIContent. Can we modify this in 2023? Click on To Tweet
What to do to your profession
For those who suspect you’re underpaid, begin by researching what others in your place make, as Ann Gynn advises within the article Content material Entrepreneurs: Right here’s How To Ask for (and Get) the Wage You Need.
Along with CMI’s wage analysis, Ann mentions this wage device from Inventive Circle that reveals common pay by job title and site. One other analysis possibility: Verify the wage bands listed for open content material advertising and marketing jobs.
Upon getting a greater sense of how your pay stacks up, begin getting ready a case for a elevate based mostly in your current accomplishments. Ann suggests you take into account how your function has modified, the enterprise influence of your work, and any optimistic suggestions you’ve gotten from others at work. Then, resolve what you’ll ask for (and options you would possibly recommend if a wage improve isn’t doable).
What to do to your group
First, in case your group lacks a profession ladder for content material roles, collaborate along with your HR companions to develop one. For a head begin on the method, use the framework Robert Rose shared on this article: Don’t Let Content material Advertising Be a Lifeless-Finish Profession.
Then, prepare for requests for raises. Inflation and the growing significance of content material advertising and marketing in organizations (extra on that within the subsequent part) make these requests virtually inevitable.
Advocating to your group might provide help to preserve them round. Current SHRM (Society for Human Sources Administration) analysis discovered that insufficient compensation is the primary think about worker turnover.
The identical analysis discovered the common compensation improve in 2023 to be 4.6%, effectively beneath the inflation charge. Take into consideration what else you are able to do to acknowledge and reward workers (take into account choices like extra days off, participation in high-profile tasks, or a change in title).
Lastly, spend a while getting ready to reply questions on pay fairness. With extra states adopting wage transparency legal guidelines, workers might discuss extra brazenly with one another about their pay.
A current Harvard Enterprise Evaluate article shares methods you may put together to debate pay fairness questions, even if you happen to don’t have full management over your group’s salaries. The article suggests researching:
- What elements your organization considers to find out salaries
- How the corporate critiques salaries to find out in the event that they’re aggressive (and what’s doable in the event that they’re not)
- The place your workers’ pay sits throughout the wage bands (and why)
For those who’re hiring subsequent 12 months, don’t take a one-size-fits-all method. Tailor your gives to what issues most to the candidate. When contemplating new content material advertising and marketing alternatives, CMI’s examine discovered that Child Growth and Gen X workers are most serious about discovering a cultural match. In distinction, Millennials prioritize greater compensation and versatile work.
Prepare to debate pay fairness in your #ContentMarketing group in 2023, says @LisaBeets by way of @CMIContent. Click on To Tweet
What to know when planning your 2023 B2B content material
This 12 months’s annual B2B analysis uncovered some areas the place content material entrepreneurs might have extra help from their organizations. Contemplate these findings:
- 71% of B2B entrepreneurs say content material advertising and marketing has change into extra essential to their group within the final 12 months.
- 40% of B2B entrepreneurs have a documented content material advertising and marketing technique; one other 33% have a technique, but it surely’s not documented, and one other 27% haven’t any technique in any respect.
- Simply 29% of B2B entrepreneurs say their group is extraordinarily or very profitable with content material advertising and marketing.
- 64% of those that say their group may be very or extraordinarily profitable with content material advertising and marketing have a documented content material advertising and marketing technique.
- 47% of B2B entrepreneurs assume their group will rent or contract content material producers in 2023.
- 46% of B2B entrepreneurs say one group (or individual) handles all varieties of content material of their group (together with promoting, thought management, brochures, search engine optimization content material, and many others.).
- 49% of B2B entrepreneurs used in-person occasions within the final 12 months; in-person occasions are additionally the content material sort that produced the very best content material advertising and marketing ends in the earlier 12 months; digital occasions got here in an in depth second, adopted by analysis studies.
- 57% of B2B entrepreneurs count on funding in social media/group constructing throughout 2023, up from 37% the earlier 12 months.
- 89% of B2B content material entrepreneurs use brief articles/posts, making them the highest sort of content material used; video is available in second, with 75% utilizing video, up from 66% the earlier 12 months.
- 78% of B2B entrepreneurs count on funding in video throughout 2023, up from 69% the earlier 12 months.
Do you could have sufficient #Content material assets for 2023? For 46% of B2B entrepreneurs, one group handles all content material (advertisements, thought management, gross sales content material, and many others.), says @LisaBeets by way of @CMIContent. Click on To Tweet
What to do
Has content material advertising and marketing change into extra vital to your group (because it has for thus many)? Have you ever gotten finances will increase to help it? If not, discuss along with your division head concerning the influence content material advertising and marketing has had, together with any current or deliberate adjustments to scope.
This text on How To Clarify Content material Advertising ROI to Win (or Preserve) Purchase-In gives recommendations on how you can speak about content material advertising and marketing’s influence in phrases executives perceive. (You’ll have precise numbers to substitute for the estimates the article suggests.)
You additionally would possibly need to evaluate your present reporting to be sure to’re displaying ends in methods enterprise leaders discover significant. Keep in mind, it’s not solely concerning the numbers – it’s essential inform the story behind the numbers. You’ll discover recommendations for the way to try this right here: Cease Making These Reporting Errors (If You Need To Preserve Your Content material Finances)
Explaining content material advertising and marketing’s worth to the enterprise ought to provide help to get the assets it’s essential plan, create, distribute, and measure content material (together with extra in-house or outsourced workers).
If these numbers persuade you to do just one factor, let or not it’s to doc (or replace) your content material advertising and marketing technique. Yearly, our analysis reveals that content material entrepreneurs who really feel their applications are profitable doc their technique – and people who don’t really feel profitable don’t have a documented technique. A written, shareable content material advertising and marketing technique will provide help to make a case for the assets it’s essential help every part you need to do in 2023 – and can preserve your group on observe as you execute.
Do this accessible course of to get the technique to create yours: How To Write a 1-Web page Content material Advertising Technique.
What to know to plan your 2023 video technique
Video’s significance in advertising and marketing continues to expertise development throughout all segments (B2B, B2C, nonprofit, and many others.), as our video analysis reveals. Among the many newest findings:
- 73% of entrepreneurs say movies have change into extra essential to their enterprise within the final 12 months.
- 69% of entrepreneurs say they principally produce movies in-house.
- 52% of entrepreneurs say movies starting from one to a few minutes lengthy have been most profitable for his or her content material advertising and marketing.
- 31% of entrepreneurs say their key viewers appears to want video over different content material sorts.
- Simply 12% of entrepreneurs say their group makes use of movies to their full potential.
- 85% of entrepreneurs say they get common or below-average outcomes with their movies.
- 59% of entrepreneurs say the highest factor they would want to get higher outcomes with video is a video technique.
- 64% of entrepreneurs count on their video finances to extend in 2023 in contrast with 2022.
- 74% of entrepreneurs assume their group wants to take a position extra in video.
What to do
Now could be the time to combine video into your technique for 2023.
As Andy Crestodina stated in my article concerning the analysis findings, “Video is a ‘show-me’ medium. And not using a technique documenting how you’ll present as an alternative of inform, a clearly outlined final result, and the assets you require, a lot of your time spent on video received’t bear fruit.”
Assess your video funding throughout 2022. Was it sufficient? If not, will you get extra finances in 2023? If not, how will you take advantage of the out there assets?
Contemplate your group’s objectives for 2023. If it desires to:
- Enhance thought management: Contemplate allocating extra finances towards informational movies with executives
- Enhance model consciousness: Contemplate brief, personalized movies for every social platform on which you need to be lively
- Transfer extra prospects via the customer’s journey: Contemplate a collection of movies targeted on storytelling about your group, its prospects, and the options provided.
Sure, that feels like lots of movies to supply. However keep in mind, you don’t have to begin each from scratch – and you’ll flip your movies into different content material codecs. The article How To Repurpose Video Content material for Larger and Higher Outcomes gives many recommendations for filling out your content material menu by planning to reuse and repurpose present and new movies.
For extra video technique inspiration, learn the tales and classes from the video advertising and marketing initiatives honored within the 2022 Content material Advertising Awards: 4 Methods To Win With Video – the ‘It’ Content material Format for 2023 [Research and Examples]
Make 2023 a strategic success
Statistics alone hardly ever persuade anybody of something. However they’ll reinforce the tales you inform.
Use these statistics and associated assets to make a case for the assets you want, doc a profitable content material technique, and resolve how large a task video will play in your 2023 plans.
Bookmark this web page for straightforward entry to all CMI analysis research. And subscribe to every day or weekly alerts to get notified of each new examine.
Cowl picture by Joseph Kalinowski/Content material Advertising Institute